Friday, January 23, 2015

Chili Cookoff...my first EVER!

Trying to live my life to the fullest, taking in new and fun things, I decided to participate in Two Saints Wineries, Chili Cookoff.  I've never done anything like this before, but no I'm a reasonably good cook, so, what the heck!  

Named, Nach"YO" Grandma's Chili...the name was a hit!
 Secondly, I think it's important to support our local businesses. We live in a nice area of Iowa that has several wineries.  So, if you want the "local" biz and a bit of culture close to home, you have to support them...in a variety of ways.

Guess what, I came in third place out of eight entries.  Not too bad, huh?  I was thrilled with that and will participate again next year.  I've already thought about what I could do, what I'd like to try in the next months to prepare.  Well...I'm inspired to develop a new chili.  


To the left is the wine that I used in my recipe.  It's Two Saints VII.  A very dry wine using grapes from a neighboring vineyard.

To the right, I served cheddar cheese and nacho cheese doritos with the chili.  My recipe used chili powder, taco powder and a ranch flavored spice mix.  

A variety of beans and hominy, green chilies and diced tomatoes.  Hearty and good!

I used richly colored linens from my own collection and a primitive box for display.


I entered my first chili cookoff...

No comments: