Friday, July 1, 2011

After two months of the new gig...I'm liking it

Burlap & Roses, formerly known as Vintage Home & Garden, in New Virginia, Iowa has opened it's doors with permanent WEEKLY hours.  In business since 2002, Burlap & Roses was an occasional sale with periodic monthly sale events.  With the opening this spring, several changes have occured...making it more shopper friendly.  So far...it's been a huge success and I anticipate it growing even more.  I'm so happy with my change and am so grateful to those who have stopped by to chat, purchase something or visit with their friends over coffee and a goodie.  It's just what I pictured it'd be like.

I put my 16 year career in real estate on hiatus, wanting to pursue my desire for a more creative and inspiring venture.  I put my real estate license in referral on 
December 31, 2010 and have not looked back.  The shop, formerly known as Vintage Home & Garden has been open for 9 years, but has been mostly an "occasional" sale event.  Now OPEN  every weekend, inc. Thursday day and evening~I'm so pumped and encouraged by this next phase of my life. The support has been incredible both locally and within the "golden circle".  I've always had a great following from the Des Moines Metro area, Osceola and southern Iowa.  Now, being open more often and regularly, I feel I can offer something to the community by way of gifts, the occasional floral delivery(silks and drieds) cards, etc. As well as fun things for the home, garden and the person."
 
Housed in one of the oldest buildings in New Virginia, the building was originally a meat locker with various professionals located in the front at different times.  The upper level, which is now a loft-like apartment, was home to the telephone operator.  "I've enjoyed hearing the many stories from those 60'ish and older who remember coming with their parent...mostly their mom, to pay the phone bill.  The story goes that the operator "always listened in" to the phone conversations.  A story that could be told in most areas, I'm sure."
 
Offering a combination of vintage and vintage inspired "new" merchandise, there is something for most every taste.  Following the trends of industrial and farm chic, recycled and repurposed vintage items, such as jewelry, hair accessories, etc. Shabby Chic, prims and more. The creativity of individuals is quite something and fun to be around.  I have a few artists/junkers who consign with me.  With my time being freed up from other obligations, I am able to do my own creating, which is something I can't get enough of.  Whether it's repainting furniture, updating a seat cushion, floral design or upcycling vintage insulators...I'm all about it, never tiring from the process.

With the other changes, Coffee Shop 508 has been added as a full service, but simple, coffee shop offering weekly menus of lite, but delicious entrees, hot and cold beverages and sweet treats...brownie sundaes, cakes or pies, muffins, yogurt parfaits, etc.  All homemade with fresh ingredients when available...the coffee shop has been a great hit~and allot of fun for me.  "More fun than I was expecting"  
 
Hours are:  Thursday thru Saturday 9-3, Thursday evenings 5-8 and Sunday, noon to 3.  Groups are requested to make reservations for the coffee shop.  I will open by appointment for bus tours, red hatters and other groups...and for the individual.  Http://shopkeeper508.blogspot.com, 515-238-7720 or myfrontporch4500@yahoo.com

No comments: