Saturday, March 26, 2011

How does it happen...

It never ceases to amaze me...mainly, because it seems these things only happen to me, but, today, when I went out to feed the calves there was one in the hay ring...on top of the remaining hay...how does this happen?  And, more importantly, does this stuff happen to other "farmers"? 


I completed my feeding chores, went to lift, move, tilt...whatever I could do to free this calf.  I lifted, it kinda kicked.  I moved to the other side, lifted, it kicked.  Hmmmm...what to do, what to do?  


Well, as I stood there pondering, the goofy thing went right through one of the openings.  You may be asking, "did it make it out that way?"  NO! NO! NO!  The head went through, the body...and then, it got stuck at the hips...really, the hips?  The calf must be higher at the hips, because it's certainly not wider!


Now what was I going to do?  I didn't have to ponder that too long, the calf took off with the thing hooked to it's hips.  Oh.my.gosh.  My worse fear is that one of them is going to be maimed or die while on my watch.  Was this going to be the first one?  


It took off, I stood there in disbelief.  It bucked, it shuffled, it bucked some more.  The other calves stood and watched...just like a few days ago; another story.  Low and behold, it bucked and shuffled and bucked it's way out of the thing.  And, non worse for the wear!  I shook my head, the other calve buddies moved toward him, as if to say, "whoa...you okay, dude?"  


Another story...another time; just know it had to do with a calf, a feed trough and me, standing their, shaking my head in disbelief.  Again, I ask, does this stuff just happen to me?


My gear after doing chores.  I can't wait for warmer temps.



No comments: