Friday, April 9, 2010

70 years old...what a life!


In February, my mom turned 70 years old.  A life that has seen so much, done so many things, mastered the ups and downs, the ebbs and flows.  A life that has been well-lived.  She is successful.  She is an inspiration!


I'd like to tell you about my mom, a woman who raised two daughters on her own.  That will be her legacy...we are her legacy...her grandchildren and now a great-grandchild, are her legacy.  A life well-lived.  Not without adversity.  Not without hardships.  Not without struggles.  Those are the things life is made of.  But, more importantly, a life well-lived. 


A life with great childhood memories.  A life with loving family.  A life of putting herself through school...at 38.  Raising two daughters alone.  A life filled with fun and laughter.  A life filled with joy. 


When I think about all the things my mom has accomplished, I can't help but be inspired by her.  She is independent, strong, funny, dependable!  She is her grandchildren's greatest ally.  She is her families greatest ally.  To know her...I don't know if I completely do.  But, she is an inspiration. 


She loves whole-heartedly.  She defends to a fault.  "You can say anything about me, but don't say it about those I love"  She's a cheerleader, she's a fighter, she's a good hugger.  A cooker, a gardener, she loves to fish.  She loves her grandchildren!!!  To be loved by her, you're loved unconditionally...really.  She's helped nieces, nephews, brothers and sisters.  She's helped grandchildren and daughters. 


My mom retired a few years ago and it's been a real delight to see her enjoy this time in her life.  I was concerned.  Wondered what she'd do with her time.  But, she's pleasantly surprised me.  She's sat with a neighbor's mother who has alzhiemers.  She's went and helped get her to bed when the husband was at home with her.  She most recently volunteered at the city planting their flowers...who knew?  She helps elderly neighbors...more elderly than her.  She's active and continues to be active...she's my inspiration!


I'm blessed with a mother like her.  A fighter, tenacious, my greatest cheerleader.  I thank God for her.  All of her...the things that drive me crazy (look out kids, I am my mother after all) the things that make me laugh and shake my head, I appreciate her and I am in indebted to her.  She is my greatest cheerleader and I am one of her greatest legacies.  I'm proud of that. 


This is a tribute to my mom, Barbara Ann Cort.  My Inspiration.

No comments: